Saturday, November 3, 2018

I can't cope...

Most of you reading this blog probably aren't new to the shit-storm of changing your eating habits. It's a cycle. Do a new diet, give in to cravings, fall off diet, feel bad until we go back to the beginning again. This is what the cycle looks like without a plan. We've been working on a plan. Well, our safety plan, anyway. This safety plan makes references to positive things we do when we feel triggered. These activities are called coping skills.

Now, coping skills really aren't very complicated. Simply put, they are the activities you do when you feel bad or feel like you might give in. I'm not here to tell you what constitutes "bad" or "giving in." We'll talk about how you can define that for yourself more tomorrow. What we're here to talk about today is what makes you feel good.

These activities can be simple: taking a walk, practicing a musical instrument, changing your environment. For me, a big coping skill to battle eating the wrong food is to look up a new recipe using the right food and try it! By the time I've taken all the steps to actually make the food, I've forgotten my craving, and I have something new to eat. Another one I do is called "Replace the Fridge." I take healthy groceries and take out an equal number of not healthy items and discard of them. Eventually, my fridge will contain mostly healthy stuff (because I don't live alone).

Some of us might have noticed that our cravings and urges happen when we are out with others. There's that social aspect again. So a lot of our coping skills need to be something we can do anywhere. Some people like to do a short mindfulness meditation that they can visit the bathroom and do real quick. Some people might try a brief distraction like a video or song. My big coping skill? This blog! I feel frustrated or attacked or hungry, I write about my thoughts. Journaling is a simple and effective coping skill. And when your skills aren't working? That's where the support network comes in.

Now, your coping skills are going to change and fluctuate as we go along and you identify what works and what doesn't. The safety plan isn't something we create and never touch again. It's something we keep changing and adapting to our lives. As our life progresses, our skills will change too. That's normal.

Here's that mindfulness meditation, if you'd like to try it:



Think of this as a fun adventure to find out what turns your mood around when you're craving. It doesn't have to be a chore. After all, these activities are supposed to make you feel good, so you're actually treating yourself.

If you're struggling with self harming or suicidal thoughts, please reach out to the Suicide hotline (1-800-273-8255). Always feel free to use our chat or 7 cups just to have someone to talk to.

We're in this together.

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! We're all in this together!